Obesity is a disturbing problem for many people in the whole world. Although the number of obese people in developed countries is increasing with time this doesn’t mean that there are no obese people in less developed countries. From observing a report from April in the online library of House of Commons, we can see that obesity in England has increased by 11 percent in the latest 25 years, from 15% in 1993 to 26%. Furthermore, 10 percent of children are obese by age 5 and 20 percent of them are obese by age 11.
Even though there is an increase in obesity, England continues to have low application rates of bariatric operations in Europe. “Cost-utility analysis of bariatric surgery” is a study published in the online British Journal of Surgery. The purpose of the research was to figure out the cost-utility of bariatric surgery in England.
The researchers used the Markov design in order to calculate and analyze the payments and results for two different treatments: the bariatric surgery and common usual care which is mainly nonsurgical. Bariatric surgery involves sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass and gastric banding. The information of the study was collected from the UK National Bariatric Surgery Registry, Swedish Obese Subjects and from the Scandinavian Obesity Registry. Information about utilities and costs were collected by United Kingdom authorities.
From the analyses of periods for about 10 years, doing the bariatric surgery resulted in higher costs of about 5600 Euros and also added 1 7 QALYs ( quality-adjusted life-years). On the other hand, from the analyses of lifetime aspect, bariatric surgery resulted to show cost reduction of about 2742 Euros and also showed additional 0 8 life years and 4 0 QALYs. Researchers also measured the cost-utility report for cohorts suffering from diabetes, showing that bariatric surgery reduced the costs over a lifetime period.
It is also interesting noting that patients who tended to postpone the surgery as far as three years appeared to have decreased clinical profitability. In 59% of the study’s subjects, bariatric surgery indicated saving of overall costs meanwhile for the rest 41%, bariatric surgery was cost-effective, meaning that the more money they spent the better would be the effect of the bariatric surgery. Just for statistics, there were saved nearly 15 million Euros from 5466 patients who were subject of bariatric surgery from 2011 to 2013. Bariatric surgery also demonstrated a decrease in the risk for other diseases like cardiovascular and diabetes.