Mom cleans grill and cooks burgers – nearly loses son after eating burger, so mom issues warning

One beautiful summer evening as the Fiore family enjoyed the weather they decided to fire up the grill and make hamburgers for dinner.

To their surprise, things took an awful turn as six-year-old Anthony starting eating his burger, he fell seriously ill within minutes.

He was rushed to the hospital emergency room and what the doctors discovered in her son’s stomach nearly made her faint.

Now, his mother want’s to warn other parents to prevent it from happening again. “It felt like a needle,” Anthony comments

His mother took him to the local hospital, when he suddenly fell ill, where doctors discovered he had swallowed a wire from a metal brush.

These are common brushes used for cleaning grills, most families with a barbecue probably own one.

“We knew something was wrong, and he was in extreme pain because he was crying,” Anthony’s mom Nadia said.

She adds “From the time we had dinner to the time we had surgery, it was about 12 hours later, our journey started at the local hospital, and then we were transported to Sick Kids.”

At the first hospital, doctors had no way of removing the dangerous, thin metal wire from the boy’s throat.

Eventually, specialists at the children’s hospital were able to remove the wire stuck in Anthony’s throat prior to performing the advanced surgery.

The most important thing was to ensure that Anthony didn’t develop an infection from bacteria on the wire. Apparently, it wasn’t the first time doctors had encountered the problem.

Many other patients had been admitted previously to the hospital to remove wires from barbecue brushes from their throats.

Dr Aziz Benbrahim states “About a year ago, I had a patient who almost passed away from it, he had [eaten] a bristle from a grill brush and he was sick for two weeks.”
Duff Dixon, an employee at Barbecue World, says that you should replace your brushes as soon as they show any wear and tear.

He also thinks, it’s best to use brushes that are attached to a metal plate, rather than a wood or plastic one, which tends to be less secure. This problem has existed for as long as metal barbecue brushes have been used, according to Dixon,

Skip the metal brush — and do this instead, as the safest thing to do is skip metal barbecue brushes altogether. There are multiple ways to clean barbecue grills without using brushes.

Some people fire up their barbecue and let it burn the residue off their grill; others rub their grill with a raw potato. Others still use aluminum foil to scrub the grime away.

Nadia, says she went public with her son’s story to warn other families about the risks of barbecue brushes so they can prevent the same fate in the future. She says “I hope to have these brushes removed from the shelves, have them banned.

Take a look at the video below for more details on the dangers of these grill brushes.

If You Were Moved By This Touching Story Then Please SHARE With Your Friends On Facebook.

Scroll Down To Read More Stories By News Actual.